Thursday 15 September 2011

A bit more about the VP

I’m Chris Humpleby, a second year historian at Emmanuel. My racing experience is very different to Tom in the sense that I’ve always approached the sport from a punting perspective, rather than having any involvement with the great beasts themselves. I’ve never even sat on a horse and I never intend to; a fact that allows the RSPCA to breathe a little more easily. I have, however, backed horses from the age of fifteen. Ever since my grandad introduced me to a copy of “Favourite” – the racing supplement in the Sun – I’ve fallen in love with the game. I’m a regular race-goer, visiting northern racetracks from my home in Carlisle, as well as attending many of the premier meetings in the company of Tom and others. In terms of gambling, I’ve had my fair share of thrills and spills, building up a reasonably sound knowledge of form along the way. I’ve written regularly for Varsity and hope to expand this experience in the coming year. I’ll be aiming to provide previews to the top meetings, with the hope of finding some winners, as well as post-race comment and analysis to dissect the ins and outs of all the big races. I hope you will find the CUHRS blog useful, and join us regulars in emptying our lungs from the top of many a grandstand.

No comments:

Post a Comment